Thursday, January 25, 2018

Player Profile 2: Ichiro

Player Profile is a series that breaks down players I have pulled from my collection and designated as a player collection. These are mostly stars from the past and present and only include base cards and inserts. Hits and rookie cards are not counted. Some players I pulled because I was a fan of their game, others are obvious because of their play. Some players I actually look for cards of in packs while others get just placed in these boxes. This series will break down how many cards I have of the player, what my Top 5 favorite cards are of the player and why I pulled the player for a player collection.

This series will also cover all four sports I collect. 

Player By The Numbers For Ichiro: 98 Different Cards. This number does not include NY Yankee cards of him as they are in my Yankees binder and not included in his player collection. My Yankee card numbers will be updated on here at a later time.

What can I say about Ichiro, the guy is a super star who needed to be a by-the-player. He put up 10 consecutive seasons of 200+hits including an MLB record of 262. He is an MVP, Gold Glover, All Star, All Star Game MVP, and has a ton of stolen bases. This guy was/is the real deal.

He has played for the Mariners, my Yanks and the Marlins with his best numbers coming from his time with the Mariners.

Having 98+ cards of the guy it was a little tough narrowing down my favorite 5, but I did somehow.

#5 shows off Ichiro's swift base moves. Either that he is doing Chubby Checkers The Twist.

 
#4 has me wondering what Ichiro is doing. Is he posing for cameras? Does he spot Superman? Bird watching? Thinking if he should retire? Or is this a wax figure or future statue?
 
#3 is just just shiny cardboard and my best numbered card of him

 
#2 is not only my favorite product and the only refractor of him I own, but it's such a cool photography angle. The prism refractor just adds another level to this card.
 
 
#1B is on here because it pairs him with Griffey Jr. There is no way this card doesn't make the list.
 
#1A has always been a favorite of mine. I can't explain why. It's probably my most valuable Ichiro, that's not saying much. It's also a nice gold parallel and the photo isn't too shabby either. But this one has just always caught my eye.
 
 
Well, that's the end of my Ichiros for now.
 
The bigger question is, is this the end of Ichiro now? He is currently a free agent and it's not like teams are chasing him down as a top one anymore with his age. Current rumors have him connected to the Reds but I think the fairy tale ending for him would land him back with the Mariners just like how Griffey ended his career. But, I am torn on that as well as I would like to see him play for a contender instead but the place where he started it all to me would be the best ending.
 
Which Ichiro card above to you like the most and which card do you own is your favorite of his? Let me know in comments and if you want leave input on how you think Ichiro should end his career!

No comments:

Post a Comment