Monday, July 17, 2017

Thanks Photobucket, But Not Thanks

Thanks Photobucket.

Thank you for once being free.

Thank you for once being handy when my blog was not allowing me to upload more photos at points in my 5 years.

Thank you for trying to charge people packages of $59.99 and up now with most people probably needing the $400 package.

Thank you for throwing a million pop-up ads on your website now so I can't even access the 102 pictures you have of mine then trying to charge a monthly fee to get rid of the ads so I can.

Thank you for making some of my blog from 2012-2014 look like this...
 
Thanks for making me do a rant post today, not something I normally do ever.
 
Thanks for....well nothing. 

I was doing a recent search of my blog for a card picture and this is what I got above. So I followed the link given and found out now hat they are now charging for what was once a free hosting site. Even blocking your photos on all 3rd party sites. Even for me who never used up the first free 2GB as I am at .9. So if I am still in the free part, why block my photos??!!?

This is crazy and ridiculous and happened overnight without warning. I feel bad for the bloggers or other sites that used Photobucket that may have much more pictures invested in Photobucket than I do. I usually upload my images straight to blogger but for a long stretch I had to use Photobucket because it wasn't allowing me to upload on blogger as I used up all of my space. Luckily the last three years I haven't had that issue. But, it's affecting all of my older posts.
 
Who has the time to go back and add in all of the photos to posts after first having to download them all to use them? I know I don't. I know others probably don't either.

I have given myself two choices, one, I will have to delete all of those posts cause it bugs me to see their replacement picture or just leave it as is and have to deal with it. I am not sure what to do.

I am just hoping if enough of us get together and complain that Photobucket will make it right with current users and then move forward to charging newbies or at the very least let us have the images we already used on third party sites and charge for future uploads. That's the right thing to do in my opinion. I know I won't ever pay for their service cause I can't afford it and definitely will never use them again if they don't fix this.

Your thoughts on this topic are welcomed below and let me know what you think I should do with those posts.

14 comments:

  1. It doesn't look like they are going to change their mind, since they defended their actions a week ago. I was at less than 1% storage at PB as well. I have moved to imgbb. imgbb has a much better user interface than PB ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't use it on my blog, but I saw a lot of people in forums were affected. Like you said, there was no warning at all. Their site is terrible too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm an attention to detail kind of guy and I would probably delete those posts... unless it was a post that was special to me for whatever reason, then I would reinstall the photos. But, yeah, most would be sent packing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really want to do that. Delete them all. I just attempted to but it's so many posts and a ton of work. Not sure what I will do yet. Reloading the photos will take time as well trying to locate them all on photobucket

      Delete
  4. Currently, I am at Flickr. But I have a gut feeling that is going to be doomed within a couple years. Can't go wrong with Google. 15 free gigs of storage, and you can usually score a couple more gig per year when they run their security update week. I am currently on 21 gigs of free storage per over 3 email addresses. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmm maybe I will have to check that out as well.

      Delete
  5. I just noticed today on a forum that a picture I had used from photobucket has that new message image. UGH. Reminds me of several years ago when Yahoo got rid of their Photo Album. I think they gave a little warning but it wasn't enough of one. I lost who knows how many photos from that. Fortunately most of them were ones from the internet and not personal ones, but I think there were some personal ones that had been transferred from other sources. I have since forgotten some specific images but I do know I had a lot of bikini pictures from those "babe of the day" sites. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm lucky that I'm not as familiar with Photobucket. I do use the site, and I even pay a buck a month to keep from being flooded with ads (that slow my computer tremendously). However, rather than using the image hosting service you are talking about, I just linked back to the Photobucket display page for that image. Either way, now I want to migrate everything off of Photobucket. I just need to figure out how.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think from what I see download every picture from the site. Looks like a lot of work lol

      Delete
  7. I had problems like this about 5 or 6 years ago when Webshots decided to hold everything hostage. I didn't have blog photos up, but I had tons of personal photos from travel there. All of it got transferred back to my hard drive. Now, I pony up for the 1 TB storage on Dropbox. It sucks to pay for stuff like storage, but I can access the photos anywhere I need to as a result.

    On these posts, I'd probably ditch them if I didn't have any strong feelings toward them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to ditch them at this point. Just going to be a lot of work lol

      Delete
  8. I used PB years ago. At one point, all of my trade bait was scanned and organized over there. Then they made some upgrades that affected the subfolders, which impacted my trade bait and I stopped using it.

    ReplyDelete