Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Breakin Wax:1997-1998 Upper Deck Basketball Series 1 Box

This is the third box from the auction lot I posted about awhile back. I thought doing a basketball one may break up the many football ones.

So here we go!
Out of the many boxes from the auction lot, this one right here was the one I was most excited about. However, after opening it, it was the one I was most disappointed with. Well, anyways I will stick break it down for ya!

In every box of 1997-1998 Upper Deck Series 1 Basketball is 28 packs with 12 cards per pack.I found one box listed on eBay for an amazing $259.99. Guess I should had tried to sell it!!! LOL!

The base set looks very nice and clean. A small side border with action photography. Some of the base cards are even "Game Dated" to a specific event. Coincidentally enough, Upper Deck had a "Game Dated" parallel in the product too that looks very similar to these cards except it had a "foil" type background. Those were extremely rare pulls.


Back of the base card.

I know I have already shown you what a base card looks like, but I had to showcase one of the top photography shots in the product. Amazing! But, this is what Upper Deck is known for.

The rookies in the product were not easy to find unless you knew them by name or look at the back of the card to see if they are college or NBA stats. I pulled the best there was in 1997-1998 in NBA Champion Tim Duncan. Actually I pulled two. I will say however the photo for Van Horn is a bit odd and scary and feels out of place amongst the other photos in the product.

There were also a couple of Subsets in the product with Jams '97, really showcasing that UD photography and Court Perspective showing what some players do off the court.

Here are the Team Mates inserts I pulled. Well, in my case, they are a bunch of 'Mates. It was odd not pulling one of the Team players out of the box. They fell at a 1:4 rate. The best of my group was David Robinson.

And finally, I pulled 2 (1:12 odds), Michael Jordan Air Time Departure inserts.
Overall, my box felt real lacking. No big time inserts, fell flat even in the base card and rookie department for a box packing 28 packs. I didn't expect to pull a UD Game Jersey card or Game Dated insert, but there were plenty of other inserts I was hoping to find. It was a bit disappointing since it was the most expensive box I bought in the lot, but at the same time it was fun being able to bust open some UD from the 90's.

Now for the breakdown. I took the inserts, star players and rookies and got a rough Beckett Book Value for it:

Here is what I paid: $11 for the box
Here is what I roughly got in Beckett Book Value from it:$79

I did okay for what I paid, but I expected so much more in my mind.

1 comment:

  1. That Eddie Jones card is sweet! He was my favorite Laker between Byron Scott and Kobe Bryant. Congratulations on pulling two Duncan rookie cards.

    ReplyDelete