Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Breakin Wax:1983 Donruss Baseball 1-Pack Break

There are just some iconic baseball brands out there that you have to pick up on a yearly basis for your collection. In my opinion, Donruss is one of them. Even though Donruss baseball today is a far cry from its predecessors of yesterday.

In my third break from my Graded Greats packs, today I am busting a 1983 Donruss baseball pack.
In every pack of 1983 Donruss baseball there are 15 cards and 3 puzzle pieces. Each pack now roughly goes for $5 now-a-days. Key rookies to find in the packs and some that I hoped to find are Wade Boggs, Ryne Sandberg, and Tony Gwynn to name a few.

One of the key things always in Donruss products in the 80's and early 90's was puzzle pieces. If you are like me you either A. have a huge stack of them in your house or B. have put a couple of the puzzles together and glued them to hang. Either way, was kind of a unique draw-in.

The base cards for Donruss were simple. A white border with a yellow bat for a name plate and a glove for team name placed at the bottom of the card. The photographs like most on baseball cards in that era are more of the up-close pictures then of action shots leading to what can be some fun captioning.

I didn't pull any of the key rookies, but I at least landed a few good players. Two of them are featured here in Lee Smith and Jim Palmer.

I grouped these two together not only because they are new additions to my Yankees PC, but because both would make a great caption this card. Especially the Rich Gossage. Would love to hear some captions for that one from you guys!!! (Mine would be "man, I shouldn't have gone out last night".

And one of my favorite cards from the pack and an iconic name in all Donruss products, the amazing Diamond Kings. You gotta appreciate the stache too.
Overall, I liked the break. I was really hoping for some of the rookies especially a Sandberg since I still lack his, but I got a few decent cards which made me happy.

***********************************************************************************
TOPIC:
Are you a fan of Donruss? Do you like today's version of it? What do you like most about the product? Did you collect the 1983 version? I wanna hear it all!

3 comments:

  1. Darryl Strawberry wasn't in the 1983 Donruss set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up. I couldn't remember who was the other rookies in the set other than the name few so I looked up the set on eBay for another name and he was listed as one.
      Someone obviously marked it wrong lol.

      I fixed the post.

      Delete
  2. For its price point, Donruss baseball is the best rip these days. It's loaded with inserts and value. I guess that's the benefit if not having to pay MLB license fees.

    ReplyDelete