Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Breakin Wax: 2014 Topps Chrome Football Hobby Box

I have said it once, I have said it twice, and I will say it again...I LOVE TOPPS CHROME! Chromie for life! Been one since the inaugural back in 1996. It was only a matter of time before I got my hands onto some 2014 Topps Chrome football. However, despite the loaded rookie class, I must say I was a bit disappointed with this years product. Read on why...

Each box of 2014 Topps Chrome football comes with 24 packs per box with 4 cards per pack. Prices for boxes have dropped but I bought mine when they were going for $70. Wished I had waited. Most now go for $50 or under.

I didn't bother posting a veteran base card since the rookies match it. I figure they would give you enough of an idea. Pulled some great rookie cards of Watkins, Adams, Sankey, Carr, Clowney and Bridgewater among others. I wished Odell was found but this box lacked him and so does my collection still.

I did however managed to pull an Sp photo variation of Kelvin Benjamin. Looks like these are not at all easy pulls especially the rookie ones.

Refractors!! Other than rookie cards, these are the main reason I love this product!

Some colored ones. Only two numbered ones in the pink and camo. I was a bit disappointed by the lack of color in this box. Only four colored parallel refractors!

Fantasy Focus that falls 1:12 packs. These look so much better chromed than they did in the flagship.

1985 Topps, once again, look better chromed fall 1:6 packs.

1963 Topps mini's 1:12, 1965 Topps football 1:24 and Chrome Rookie die cuts that fall 1:24. So this box was pretty spot on with the odds.

Pulsar!! Johnny! One per hobby box. Pulled this when he still mattered lol.
And my autograph was.... A REDEMPTION! SWEET! LOL! It was a 1963 Topps Refractor autograph #d to 15 of Austin Seferian-Jenkins. Once again I get the nice low numbered auto pull, but not the player. At least he is a rookie and maybe could be a future Jimmy Graham..least I can hope! I will post a picture of this card when it arrives :)

Overall, I don't think my box was horrible. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of colored refractors, not getting an Odell rookie (something that isn't Topps fault), and my autograph pull only because it was a redemption. I wished they could add an extra autograph and have two per box like baseball then my break may have been a bit more exciting.

I also wished I had waited for the price to drop like it has. At the $70 I question return value on this break, but not at the $50. I think right now is the time to eat this stuff up with this class before this product explodes and is untouchable.

4 comments: