Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Review: Sp Authentic Football 2012

Upper Deck's most popular brand (least I think it is) packs a punch every year and has collectors running out to get it. Though it may not be the same product that came out a few years ago when Upper Deck had an NFL license for it, the product still looks great and can still produce those one of a kind hits.

Box Break Down:
  • 24 Packs Per Box, 5 Cards Per Pack
  • Look for (3) Autographs Per Box!
  • (1) Rookie Auto Patch Per Box!
  • $110 a Box 


BASE CARDS: Sp Authentic stays to its core, white background base card with player the main focus. I am usually not one for non action photos for products, but this is Sp Authentic, this is an exception. The thing I don't like about the base card is the players name on top of the head. I would have either just left the last name the way it is or have put the first name on top of it. Other than that, glad Sp Authentic stays with its success with the base cards. You should also be able to put a set together in one box.




INSERTS: If you haven't tried this product, the Canvas cards have got to be some of the coolest inserts out on the market. I was hoping to land one of the awesome Stadium Authentics cards because I am a fan of acetate, but the next card after this sentence makes up for that.I haven't quite figured out why a couple of the base cards are dark. I assumed those are parallels. So stuck them right here under inserts.

AUTOGRAPHS: Boom!!! Trent Richardson Gold Parallel auto numbered 5/5!! I was just excited to have gotten my best hit ever out of Sp Authentic with a Richardson auto until  I realized it was numbered. Definitely made up for the other two hits in the box. And its on card for you non sticker auto fans.

JERSEY/PATCH CARDS:To me this product has always been about its auto/patch rookie cards. With one per box that is usually the hit that decides the value of your box. Luckily for us, it wasn't. I don't know who this Jeff Fuller is, but he seems to be haunting me in my Upper Deck breaks this year. However, the design sticks with the great designs of the past. The auto is on card. And these are still some of the hottest rookie cards on the market. Just pick up your Beckett or check eBay and you will see that. The Sp Threads pack, you get these 1:72 for odds, was sitting on top of our packs in the box. Though its Kellen Moore, someone else who stalked me in 2012, the card is pretty cool. The auto is signed on jersey. The card is printed or feels printed on a very thick acetate. Despite the player, these cards rock. I was a little disappointed though that the Threads pack counted as one of the autos in the box. I think it should have been an extra since its a tough pull.
OVERALL THOUGHTS: Sp Authentic is worth a try. Hopefully your box turns out the big auto hits with three per box its worth a shot. Hopefully you get that big hit or name auto. I have seen a couple bad breaks of this product with no name autos and patch auto hits. But then there could be that RG3, Trent Richardson, Doug Martin, Dan Marino, Barry Sanders and so on box. Like with most products..theres high risk and possible high return. But if you are a fan of Sp Authentic, this years will not disappoint.

RATINGS:  Bloggers Note: Our ratings are based specifically on the blaster, box or packs we opened and do not express what the overall product could bring. Ratings based on a 1-5. 1 Being the lowest and 5 being the highest.
                Packaging: 5
                Base Design: 4
                Insert Design: 4
                Memorablila/Autographs: 4
                Blaster, Hobby Box, or Pack Value: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment