Thursday, January 31, 2013

Worst Trade Ever....

Oh how we can sometimes make bad decisions about our collections and especially when it comes to trading. Yep..I did it. When I was still living at home as a youngin, my father had gone to a gas station and bought a couple packs of racing cards for fun. But what we found inside astounded us.

SCC 
Now, this is not the real card we pulled. This is just an example. But we pulled Jeff Gordon Press Pass Firesuit card that had a BV of $350. We were very excited to say the least! We held onto it for a few months before we ran into the money needing bug so he took a drive to a card shop. I went with him holding the card the whole time depressed we had to give it up. But what his plan was, just to get a few bucks and then trade the rest of the value for a card. So we would have a card to replace the one we were losing.

When we got there my dad explained to the shop owner what we wanted. We got around $50 in cash and then a card caught our eye of a upcoming rookie RB star we had always watched and wanted a rookie card of: 

scc 

Now how could you go wrong? This guys rookies were soaring through the roof and this was one of the top ones! They were making a run at the Super Bowl, he was aiming for 2,000 yards. Great pickup in our eyes and almost equals the value of the full trade. This card was pushing $200.

At the time it appeared to be a great trade, but who would have guessed the injury bug would derail his career. Values of the Gordon card jumped, values of the Davis card went down. The Gordon card closed in on $500 this card closed in on $10. It was an incredible change and a trade we drastically lost on. By far the worst trade I have ever made. You can now find these Davis rookie cards on eBay for $5 or less. I sadly have held onto mine as a reminder to only make good decisions when I do trade.

Now I ask you, whats the worst trade you ever made?

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was in 4th grade I traded away a Topps Cal Ripken rookie. It was such a bad trade I don't even remeber what I got back for it. I think it was a bunch of lesser stars. I want to go back and kick my 4th grade ass for that one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I was in 8th grade I traded my whole collection for about $30 cash. It was a good number of 1977-1981 Topps, but there were a few nice rookies in there, including Rickey Henderson. But hey, when you're 13 and it's 1981, 30 bucks was a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will win here. When I was in around 6th or 7th grade, a friend of mine had a 1983 Topps Gary Gaetti rookie card. Being a huge Twins fan, I wanted it. As we went through my collection, he found a pile of 1986-87 Fleer Basketball cards I had. Most of the set, including the Jordan. Another friend of mine and I had ripped open two full boxes of the stuff because the packs were so cheap at the corner store. Anyway, I ended up trading the whole lot for Gaetti and a handful of other baseball cards. None at all memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. TRADING MICKEY MANTLE CARDS FOR ANY PITTSBURGH PIRATE! BESIDES ROBERTO CLEMENTE, IT WAS A BIG MISTAKE. :(

    ReplyDelete