Tuesday, May 1, 2012

2012 NFL Draft: Thoughts on the draft

First off, I will start talking about the Giants Draft. I was shocked when they drafted a RB in the first round. Then a WR in the 2nd. I like the CB pick and the TE pick. They seemed to have been looking for offensive weapons for this draft. I think they could have used an MLB, but just my opinion. We will see how this Rb turns out. I have heard he had trouble holding onto the ball. But Coughlin should be able to help with that like he did with Barber.

The Randal pick will help replace Manningham. 

Giants Draft:
1st: David Wilson RB VT
2nd: Rueben Randle WR LSU
3rd: Jayron Hosley CB VT
4th: Adrien Robinson TE Cincy
4th: Brandon Mosley OT Auburn
6th: Matt McCants OT Auburn
7th: Markus Kuhn DT NC State

Overall I will give the Giants a draft grade of C+. They filled some needs at CB. But late round o-line help might not turn out that well. And a surprise RB pick that I don't think was a need.

As for the rest of the draft. A couple of things stuck out to me. Why did the Browns trade up to get Richardson? He was obviously going to fall to them. Not unless they bought into the Jets trading up to get him. But, it cost the Browns extra picks they could have definitely used since they have a lot of rebuilding to do. And speaking of the Browns, they had a good qb already in Colt McCoy. Why draft another?? What a waste of a pick. What they needed was another weapon to help him. Not a qb to replace him.

And San Francisco stuck out to me as well. Why draft a Rb. Yes, he was probably one of the best players left on the board. But they could have used the help elsewhere. Now with a crowded backfield, how do you give everyone a chance to play?

Teams like Dallas, Indy, New Englad were teams who had great drafts. Especially New England, who filled a ton of defensive needs. As much of an enemy they are to me and my team, they rocked the draft and the Free Agency I think as well.

I liked this years draft overall. Teams moving up and down. Like a game of chess. Trying to outplay their opponents. It's why football is the number one sport in America. And it shows that the season never truly ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment