Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Remembering Upper Deck NFL, NBA, MLB Cards Part 1:1989 Upper Deck Baseball

Factory sets like this still are worth around $100



A picture of one of the packs


A hobby box that still will run you around $120


Upper Deck 1989 baseball. The one that started it all! Some amazing cards were in this set. I remember as a kid seeing the Griffey Jr rookie card in the Beckett every month. I stared and stared at it. And I told myself that someday I was going to own one of the most iconic card and most popular cards in the baseball card industry. Which I do now own one. It has a special place in my collection. However, regretfully, I had to sell off my sealed factory set of 1989 Upper Deck baseball cards. Never knowing what the Griffey Jr on the inside looked like. Hoperfully the following gallery will bring you back memories of Upper Deck licensed baseball cards. Starting off with the most iconic card ever!



And some other great rookies as well just to name a couple:



Other popular rookies in the set are John Smoltz, Craig Biggio, Tom Gordon, Steve Finley, Jim Abbot and Omar Vizquel.

And who can forget about the talked about error card in the Dale Murphy Reverse Negative card.

 

The set consisted of 800 cards with a standout design. Each box has 36 packs with 15 cards per pack.

Leave feedback on what you thought of this popular set!!! And was there a moment in your life when you collected it or do you still chase cards from the set? Do you own the Griffey card? Did you ever regretfully get rid of some cards from this set and wished you had them back?

5 comments:

  1. I collected the set when it first came out. Upper Deck was years ahead of its competitor in design, card stock, and you can't forget the holograms. I opened up several wax boxes and ended up getting 6 of the Griffey cards. I put together 2 sets and bought a factory set. I think the Griffey card in that set helped resurrect the hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never gotten one of these boxes but looks like a nice box. I also have never gotten rid of any my cards. I keep them all unless I have a lot of extras I give them to my daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember going to 7-11 and buying packs after packs. I was able to get a Griffey. I kept it for years then sold it when I was in high school but has been replaced with a better one now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete